Monday, June 23, 2008

Mom's Lasagna...............Barbara McKell

I am sure that all of us have a recipe from our mom's that we love for lasagna. However, I have always loved this recipe and feel like it is easy to make.


1 lb. meat, I usually just use a 1/2 pound to cut calories, but either way works just great.
1 tomato sauce, small
1 tomato paste, small can
1 1/2 tsp. salt
1 16 oz. can whole tomatoes
2 tsp. oregano


------------------------------------------------
Other ingredients you will need:
1 box noodles
1 small container fat free cottage cheese
Parsley flakes
Parmesan
Cheese, grated. I usually use 1/2 of one of the small things of cheese. I always use the low moisture skim cheese, it has less calories.

Brown the meat, add spice to the meat if you would like, I usually do.....Combine with other ingredients, let it simmer for 1/2 hour or so. I usually start the sauce simmering while I am browning the meat. Then, I add the meat so that I don't have to wait as long for the sauce to simmer.

While you are doing this, cook one box of noodles in a pan, I always use whole wheat noodles when I am cooking. They are a good source of fiber and help with my weight watchers attempted diet.

After noodles are cooked and sauce is simmered:

Put a layer of sauce on the bottom of a 9 x 13 pan.
Add noodles.
Add sauces, cottage cheese, parsley, parmesan.
Continue to layer the noodles and sauces with cottage cheese. On the last layer, just put the cheese on top.
Cover in aluminum foil and cook for 30 minutes at 375. Adjust time and temperature based on your oven.

Weight Watchers Points: 5 points for 1 piece, 12 servings for this recipe.

No comments: